View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 11:11 PM
135tankerdriver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Default Should I pursue a major... QoL?

Well I’m an AD USAF pilot considering getting out at 15 years to pursue a major airline job. I’m a little nervous about being away from the family a bunch. With that said if I get out I think my ideal airline would allow be to be home the most nights. Is there a major airline that would be better suited for this. Money isn’t a huge deal to me but I don’t want to be poor either. I’ve heard you can drop trips with SWA if someone wants your trip and I heard something similar with United. And I’ve heard mixed things about reserve... like your jet needs to be overmanned to make it a good deal which can change and that perhaps bidding reserve during slow months makes more sense, and that at SWA they fly you a bunch on reserve, etc. Also, if I get out before 20 I’d be flying with a KC-135 unit part time and should be able to drop mil leave from time to time. With that said any advice/info on how many nights I’ll be home on an good/bad month on a given airline (if I try to drop/trade trips, sit reserve, use mil leave, etc), and any info on how does life airlines plus guard/reserve compare to AD, is much appreciated.

Last edited by 135tankerdriver; 01-05-2019 at 11:51 PM.