View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 05:04 AM
thefalken
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: B-767 FO
Default FO requirements

*** One of two posts. Next I will answer QOL ***

We usually look for FOs to have ~1000 hrs. Most come in with some experience in turbine aircraft. We like to see more multi time than just your checkride, but we understand that at ~1000 hrs it's very likely this will be minimal. Also working as a full-time professional pilot (CFI, pt 135, or pt 91) for about a year shows us you have some valuable personal experience to build-on. If your full-time gig is primarily VFR (banner towing, ag, surveying) I would recommend you take an active approach to keeping your instrument skills sharp and let us know in your application or cover letter what you have been doing.

Building off the professional flying, life experience is strongly considered. We are looking to hire good decision makers. The FO position is meant to be a mentorship, not a career position. Life experience helps you develop self-awareness to apply to your decision making (I'll elaborate in my next post).

Normally we meet applicants for dinner before they go flying. This gives us a chance to get to know you and for you to feel learn more about us; primarily, can we sit beside you without having malicious thoughts within the first hour. Also gives us a chance to learn about what experience you have and the tough decisions you have had to make in aviation or other careers.

During the flight, you will fly approaches and have a little introduction to our flows/checklists. We are not looking for you to be able to operate the PC-12 without guidance or know the numbers. We want to see how you accept instruction/feedback, can you hold altitudes, how you communicate with ATC, can you stay on LOC/GS, how you brief an approach, etc. ***The fundamental*******

I do my best to provide the majority of you with feedback as I have contact with you or receive your resume. I am keeping up with forums, Facebook, email, etc. so I sometimes run out of time to respond to each private message or I forget to make a note to reply to a certain person. Please accept my apologies if I do not reply and do not hesitate to send me a reminder.