Thread: Southern air
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 12:29 PM
JonnyKnoxville
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009

Originally Posted by skiddriver View Post
So I read tons of neg posts... makes Southern 777 opportunity look pretty concerning.... straight scoop please...

Am I to understand you can get paid less than Min-G (62 hours)? How does that work....

I am at a regional getting maybe 45 -55 Hours a month after losing flights to displacement etc.... I feel like flying a 777 at rates that appear much higher than regional FO pay would be a great opportunity... But reading posts makes it seem like that’s a very wrong thought on my end!

I am military and need more Turbine time to be competitive at what I feel would be my desired career airlines...I would like to get some Cargo experience as I truly believe I would prefer nights and straight trips 15-17 days rather than broken 4 on 2-3 off with passengers.... but again.... everyone seems to be so Neg about this... inputs please; real data...
First year guarantee is 50 hours.

The pay rates may look better but the details of the contract absolutely kill the pay. Almost everyone who came from the regionals, myself included, had a significantly better contract at the regionals.

One of many examples:

We do not have bid line protection. So, I could bid a 80 hour line and maybe get awarded it. Once awarded, my schedule changes, as they often do, and I now am scheduled to fly 65 hours. I would only get paid for my new schedule.

The only money you can count on under this CBA is guarantee. 50 hours for first year, 62 hours for every year after. Budgeting for anything more than that will leave you very disappointed.

B777 will build you time. B737 will be the kiss of death. A few short legs where you will build 200-300 hours a year at most.