View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM
allover
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Resurrecting an old thread for some informative discussion points.

First thing to note, I’m a former Navy NFO turned pilot. I did fly a Navy aircraft in which the TCDS required two pilots. The NATOPS lists the NFO as a required crew member with a co-pilot checkride and refers to the NFO as an SIC. Training took place with FSI and training program mirrors FAR 61.55 for a SIC. And the PIC was not Navy either but instead a civilian contractor!

Here’s another thing that’ll get many panties in a bunch...a few of us NFO pilot types got type ratings added too!

To my original point, after seeing FE’s get credit for 500 hours towards their R-ATP I’d like to start talking to the right people, getting some support, and seeing if I might be able to help out the NFO/WSO in the same manner as a military FE. I sure would have liked the credit!

After working my way up, it didn’t take long to realize that a guy with 1000 hours in Cessna was far more dangerous than a WSO with 500 traps and 2500 hours in Navy aircraft plus all the other aviation based training that goes along with it.

I imagine there’s never been support nor a push for back seat guys to get ATP credit for their experience but I feel like it might be worth a shot.

What organizations would you guys start with for some assistance?