View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by allover View Post
Resurrecting an old thread for some informative discussion points.

First thing to note, I’m a former Navy NFO turned pilot. I did fly a Navy aircraft in which the TCDS required two pilots. The NATOPS lists the NFO as a required crew member with a co-pilot checkride and refers to the NFO as an SIC. Training took place with FSI and training program mirrors FAR 61.55 for a SIC. And the PIC was not Navy either but instead a civilian contractor!

Here’s another thing that’ll get many panties in a bunch...a few of us NFO pilot types got type ratings added too!

To my original point, after seeing FE’s get credit for 500 hours towards their R-ATP I’d like to start talking to the right people, getting some support, and seeing if I might be able to help out the NFO/WSO in the same manner as a military FE. I sure would have liked the credit!

After working my way up, it didn’t take long to realize that a guy with 1000 hours in Cessna was far more dangerous than a WSO with 500 traps and 2500 hours in Navy aircraft plus all the other aviation based training that goes along with it.

I imagine there’s never been support nor a push for back seat guys to get ATP credit for their experience but I feel like it might be worth a shot.

What organizations would you guys start with for some assistance?
As a former USAF back seater I suggest you forget about it. It would take (another) act of Congress. That would have to be proposed and go through multiple committees and have multiple hearings. Simply not going to happen in any reasonable timeframe, assuming it coukd actually happen at all. Long before it could ever happen (assuming the shutdown is even over), you could have gotten the hours yourself and moved on.