View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 08:06 PM
FGHJKL
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2010

Originally Posted by Pilot553 View Post
Can anyone offer info regarding the LAX 320 base? It appears to be in the drop occasionally. From what I understand the flying is largely out of SNA though? Curious about the size, seniority, and pairings compare to the 737?
Very comfortable acft to fly and sit in all day.

Grown up fleet...training center instructors and most LCAs are very cool and relaxed.

Mostly gentlemans flying hours w/o many all-nighters, although early wake-ups from the east coast can almost be worse for those on a CA body clock. Not many hub-to-hub legs. Good pairing have 2 legs/day, and more junior parings often have 3 (sometimes 4) legs/day...but it's not hard at all. Some of the most junior pairing have "double-duty" days where you fly a leg in the morning, get required crew rest during the day, then fly another leg at night.

Top 50ish% of LAX FOs seem comfortable staying put, so most recent movement has been from less senior folks who transfer to DEN, IAH, widebody, etc. Not sure of the exact math, but pretty sure the top 50% of FOs can now hold LAX 737 Capt seats (at least on reserve), and have so far chosen not to.

You need to be comfortable getting to LAX, BUR, SNA and ONT. The flying mix changes monthly & isn't very predictable. The good SNA pairings seem to go to the more senior FOs. The 737 also covers these bases, but has a much higher percentage of LAX flying.

Much more movement on the LAX 737, but I'm happy flying Fifi (live in-base).

I suspect the gossip of the base going away is just gossip.

It hasn't dropped below 40 degrees here all winter.

Last edited by FGHJKL; 01-12-2019 at 08:51 PM.