View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
FliFast
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: I was acquired, Not Hired

Originally Posted by MrSuupafly View Post
Check out the gramm"er".

In reference to guys hired in the 60s at TWA. I personally know someone who got hired at 18, was a 727 Captain at 23 and a 707 Captain at 25.
I do too, and they had to wait till they turned 23 to upgrade because of the age limitation on (back-then) the ATR license-as opposed to todays' ATP.

In any event, back to the thread...I know there is alot of mockery of the Humpty Diddle Flying School because of their marketing slogans like..."Harvard of the Skies", and some other marketing sayings that have been posted. My question is, has anyone on here attended either an aviation university, vocation school, or FBO Part 141 school etc, that had a marketing slogan like....

Come to our school, our program sucks.
Our FBO has the highest washout rate, give us a try.
We'll make you a pilot, we'll make your checkbook a pudding pie
Our graduates are about as successful as screendoors on submarines

I can go on, but my point is do you expect a university to market to prospective enrollees with statements that are postive or use the ones I used above. In addition to the military route, there are many excellent civillian facillities to learn to fly. I can easily list a half dozen universities that provide exceptional instruction and I'd bet there are exponentially as many FBO/flying services that would fit the bill also.

The second half of my point is, to cloud this thread with "why we hate ERAU" takes away from the salient points of this proposal. Finally, if you'll allow me an opinionated question...why didn't UND, or FIT, or OSU, or the FBO at Monroe County just north of Toledo galvanize this contract before ERAU...maybe that silly "Harvard in the Skies" nonsense really works...

Just an opinion...don't let the facts get in the way.

FF