View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 06:22 AM
msmarchin
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2019
Position: B767 FO
Default Questions About Training Options

Hello! I've greatly enjoyed reading comments on this forum for some time and decided to seek some individualized feedback.

I am almost 28, I have a BS degree and 90.1 hours with a PPL (or a PPC) that I got almost 9 years ago. I have flown intermittently since then and had a BFR back in 2016. I have always been interested in being a commercial pilot; a string of jobs that I didn't care for and the recent change in first-year pay at the regionals has encouraged me to take flying seriously again and go all the way.

I am strongly considering ATP, as I feel like it is the best fit for my personal situation (don't need a degree, don't have access to a cool $50K, know I already like flying as I loved almost all of those 90 hrs of flying, etc.). An attractive part is the ability to finance the training. I know they get a bunch of flak on here, but I'm not seeing any other viable options. I expect to be overpaying by at least a bit, but I feel that wages not earned while being an airline pilot have a value, too (airline pilot being the ultimate objective).

Am I missing something? Are there other options that I don't see? If not, could anyone recommend a preferred ATP location?...I know they are all supposed to be "the same" but I'm sure certain locations are better than others. Anyone have any recent ATP experience, good or bad, that they can share with me?

Thank you in advance for the info and help.