View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 05:01 AM
alvrb211
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Originally Posted by nicholasblonde View Post
Seriously...if 10-15 kids at ERAU put their individual 100K together, they could buy a VLJ, hire a check airman, and run charters until they all had 1000 TPIC. At the end of the day it would involve less risk (i.e. no risk of being one of the 492/500 NOT selected to go to Spirit), be more fun, and probably make them better pilots (scary). Also they'd have a share of a jet at the end of the day, instead of the same FAA certificates for which everyone else paid a lot less.

Also, who is to say these 8 ERAUers didn't have close to the mins already? Maybe they weren't the typical ERAU grad (i.e. maybe they all already had lots of time from grandpa or daddy's plane).

I understand the euros do stuff like this all the time, but the US has plenty of qualified pilots who are much more qualified, and there is no need for this type of BS. I think the Spirit pilot group should do something about it.
The European ATPL and ab-initio programs like those at Easyjet are very different to the FAA ATP program. Just have a look at the 14 JAR ATPL theory books and training sylabus and you'll get an idea of how demanding it is.
Ab-initio guys in Europe have to jump through many hoops to complete their training to ATPL level. When training is completed in a seminole, it's followed by 42 hours of CRM training, a type ride and then "5 months of IOE" with a check airman. You would expect proficiency by then wouldn't you?

Remember.......there's a lot of kids flying RJ's in the US with 300 hours and a license from Billy Bob's FBO armed with little more than the knowledge gained from a Gleim FAA ATP book. Also, this is without any international ops or climatology study. These guys are flying jets in the US with no experience and little knowledge and that's a fact!

At least the pilots in Europe have put in some real study, passed VERY demading exams, and completed 5 months of IOE before being signed off!! Maybe it's time to establish a program similar to that of the EU.

I'm an ERAU guy flying a medium jet for a US major. I'm aware of how the ab-initio system works but I think it will remain a lot more stringent in Europe where it's well established.

Of course, the goal is to ensure that upon completion of training, pilot's are proficient.

AL

Last edited by alvrb211; 12-06-2007 at 05:14 AM.