View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 01:05 PM
IAHB756
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by oldmako View Post
2 more. SWA in BNA and OMA (I think).

Last year or so someone on here was questioning my manhood because I had the gall to blaspheme the mighty Guppy and its idiotic approach speeds. Suggested that it was a 'Man's airplane' or some such. Manly men go off the runway just as fast as non-manly men. Though faster it would appear, in an über Guppy.

This time of year, I'd keep those buckets open longer when justified. The hell with 80 knots.

Be careful and mind your ticket.
And there lies the problem. The 737 doesn’t have a limit on reverse use. Our problems have mostly stemmed from pilots previously having an 80 knot limitation on the Airbus thinking they still do on the 737 and slamming the reversers down at 80 knots while engines are still spooled thus basically rear ending themselves on the short, contaminated runway. Folks, you can leave it in reverse as you exit the runway for all Boeing cares. Once stowed, it takes almost 10 seconds to get back into full reverse. At idle reverse, less than 3 seconds. When all you have left (unexpected nil braking at end of runway) is luck and thrust, I want the reversers at the ready.