View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 09:25 PM
RBFmcgee
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by BMEP100 View Post
The doctor I see for arthritis has recommended CBD oil for arthritis pain. He did stress that the source is very important and that it should be batch tested.

Another surgeon friend who is an AME (not mine), has been studying CBD and is convinced of it’s therapeutic value for a lot of maladies. He said however that even CBD, labeled as having less than .2% THC might show up on a DOT drug screen.

I have found a CBD supplier with third party testing that shows the THC amount is “non detectable”.

Wife says it is not worth the risk. She does not have arthritis

Anyone with personal or professional experience with CBD and FAA are welcome to chime in.

I’m not finding anything on the web from the FAA, or DOT.
Find another remedy. The risk that one nanogram of one batch sold to you having a slightly detectable level of THC in it may seem slim to none but consider the alternate extreme...you get pulled for a random test and that slight amount (which probably wouldn’t have affected your abilities) shows up on the screening. You can explain the ailment and your choice of treatment after the fact until you’re blue in the face but it won’t do you any good. You just got a positive. That’s it. Now you’re jumping through the RTD/FU hoops, if they let you, for up to five years. Not worth it. According to the DOT and the Supreme Court - THC in any form is illegal for you to consume as a DOT/FAA regulated employee.