Old 01-29-2019, 05:16 PM
Birdsmash
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: 777 Left window seat

Originally Posted by whalesurfer View Post
DHL is owned by the Deutsche Post AG and the German government owns a large share of the group (~20% ownership via KfW).

In other words, to buy DHL Fedex would have to deal with the German government. ..and why would the German government want to sell DHL to one of its main competitors?
AMZN isn’t a competitor to Deutsche Post AG. If DHL and the German government are looking for an exit strategy to ever increasing labor costs and pension liabilities, selling DHL would be an answer. I’m aware of the employment protections that are common in Europe. Any kind of deal could be structured to protect those currently employed. I’m sure FDX had to make similar guarantees with the purchase of TNT. The deal could also include whatever guarantees Deutsche Post needs for their packages.

An AMZN purchase of DHL would also give them the European Air Transport (EAT) Air network and 49% ownership in Polar. I think DHL has other partial ownership in some of their other contractors?

All it would take is many $billions and AMZN would have an instant worldwide network.