View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 07:18 AM
JayMahon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Plenty of people your age and older do it, and there has really never been a better time, ever, due to massive looming retirements at the big three.

So really it comes down to your finances vs. your lifestyle, how much you have saved, and how much you can adjust the lifestyle if needed.

Also it will be easier if you can relocate several times over the next five years but not required, many pilots commute.

So probably the finances, spouse (if any), and kids (if any) are the key factors to consider. You should be earning $100K+ after you upgrade at a regional in five years (or even less if you hustle), and then $200K+ at a major once you get hired. Also having a college degree and a clean background are important. Obviously a criminal record will be a big problem, but even a DUI or a lot of moving violations can slow down or limit your progression.

Also recall that any big economic turmoil (or black swan event) could mess up the industry, although the large number of retirements should mitigate the career damage over time as far as a pilot is concerned.
I'm a paladin. No moving violations, no DUI, no criminal. Got a wife and kids, we've done the career change struggle before and managed fine. I am aware of the damage a black swan event or economic downturn could have on the industry, but I have no control over those factors. They tend to also impact other industries as well. As with much of life, there are no guarantees... all we can do is make the best decision we can with the information at hand and try not to over leverage ourselves into a dangerous position. You are right though... and it remains a concern. I'm dropping some serious money into a future that could vanish before I get my hands around it.

I've hustled my whole life. I don't see any reason why that would change just because I'm working in an office with a pretty view. Work is still work.

I appreciate your feedback and looking out for some of the common obstacles that trip up prospective pilots. Any other insights? Any other dark clouds on the horizon I'm not seeing?