View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 09:30 AM
kaputt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011

I've had continued interest in flying for CBP for awhile now. But something that I've seen as a big detriment is the fact that there seems to be no clear path to moving on to other air-frames with other mission sets.

I personally could probably manage a Southern Border location and a C206 assignment if there was the possibility of upgrading into one of the King Air's Dash-8s, PC-12s, P-3s, etc... down the road. But every time I've spoken with someone in CBP, they can't guarantee you would ever see one of those aircraft.

I'm not at the point yet where I can make the jump to any real aviation job (still on active duty and still low flight hours), but as of right now I'd say if you have an interest in law enforcement and also flying, the FFDO program might be something to consider. I will continue to keep my eye on CBP though for any possible improvements.

I'll also add, that it does seem that the job may be a better fit for Rotor Wing guys. For obvious reasons, the helos do a ton of work for CBP.