Old 02-07-2019, 10:26 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Be careful taking checkrides for which you're not prepared. There should be no problem taking a checkride otherwise.

Flight time is only worth the effort one puts into it. Two people fly the same airplane under the same conditions for one hour. One comes away with an hour of flight time. The other comes away with an hour of experience. The two are not the same.

Flying seaplanes, gliders, even conventional gear aircraft, can be a rich, rewarding experience from which one can glean a great deal, but none make a pilot a good pilot. Stick and rudder skills are not wasted. Stick and rudder experience may be wasted, if someone simply views it as logbook time and gains little from it. It comes down to the pilot, rather than the aircraft.

Nobody will be impressed by any of the above, or particularly care. There are always variations on a theme. When I was new in one large airplane, a captain asked what I'd flown last. I didn't cite my resume, just told him the last airplane. His response? "What gives you the right to be among us, professionals?" Arrogance. In another case, a captain asked the same question. His response? "Well, at least we know you can fly."

Neither captain was correct in their assumption. Yes, I can fly, but having a solid background in various types of flying does not automatically make it so. More recently a pilot with whom I'd flown said something similar, "at least we know you can fly." When I asked what he meant, he said "just based on the fact that you're still alive." That may be true, to some degree, because a lot of that flying doesn't tolerate bad behavior and mistakes or bad flying does get penalized in rapid and severe ways...but I'm not big on assumptions, and I don't believe people are products of their environment. People are products that they choose to be, of the experiences from which they choose learn. Whether such learning will impress anyone else is probably the last reason to choose to do those activities.