View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 08:51 AM
galaxy flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
I'm LOOKING for dark clouds. So, some pilots get stuck with an operator that pays peanuts to fly the big boys. Sounds like a bad deal.

How does it happen?

What keeps the pilot there instead of taking his experience elsewhere? Seniority? Lack of desire to fly in overseas environments that pay well for this level of experience?

Give me some examples to deflate the optimism. That's SPECIFICALLY why I posted. I've read though these forums voraciously over the past few weeks collecting information. I'm reaching out to fill in the gaps and check the conclusions I've come to.
Seniority is one issue that people outside aviation have a hard time grasping—it’s great and awful. I was a EAL and learned to hate it when seniority took a lot of options away, mostly due to inability to move.

I know a lot of Reserve military technicians who joined when furloughed, most had been there before hiring at an airline. Once they got established, life was good, decent pay, retirement, short commute. Some rejected recall, some went back after delaying. I’ve went back as a captain.

Corporate pilots much the same. When you’re making 200k, have great QOL, adding 50k after taxes becomes less attractive. I know four guys who didn’t go back, resigning because life was good. Could they have made more money going back to AA or UA, yes. Was it worth it to them, no.

Gf