Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 06:21 AM
FreightDogs
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by 927A View Post
Hi all. I've been a reader of this thread for some time. I finally have the hours to consider applying, and I was going to use the online chat to speak to someone directly but it was offline every time I tried today so I decided to post some general questions here.

I am currently a CFI and have just over 500 TT. I have more multi than the average bear. I do not quite have 500 PIC and thought it was a firm requirement (and was waiting to apply/ask questions until I reached it) but then saw a post a few pages ago indicating I may have been mistaken. I am interested in the EMB120 FO position

How frequently are people hired for that position?

I've read about typical bases; Are they assigned or chosen? What are the upgrade opportunities/timelines?

I've found it to be a bit of a risqué question on pilot forums, but what are grooming standards, if any, such as regarding facial hair tattoos etc? I assume it's a bit more relaxed from passenger carrying gigs (I've noticed some furry pilots in AMF pics!). Just want to make sure I'm well aware of policy.

How long is the hiring and training process? I think I saw somewhere training is 6 weeks in various locations, and classes are usually once a month?

These are just a few things off the top of my head; I'm sure to come up with a more. Is it best to ask future questions here or contact a recruiter directly?

Apologies if I've asked previously answered questions. As I mentioned I have been a reader here for some time, but I figure some of this information changes periodically so I want to ensure that I have the most up to date information.
Hi, there!

I'll try to answer all of your questions!

FOs at 500TT come in on our EMB120. We have 12 EMB120s in our network. We typically see new EMB120 FO pilots in our new training classes every 2-3 months as our current FOs upgrade.

For that, the PIC requirement is 350 hours. It used to be 500 PIC, but we have recently lowered it to 350. Currently, our site reflects the 350 and going forward, everything else should as well.

When the time comes, you'll decide on your base before you even sign your offer letter. There should not be any surprises when it comes to that. As an EMB120 FO, your offer letter will clearly state the base you're going to and you'll have to live within 1.5 hours of it. Here are the bases we currently have EMB120 routes out of: BFI, ONT, PDX, PHX, BQN, and SLC

Typical upgrade time from EMB120 FO to BE99 Captain is one year. Ultimately, it's however long it takes you to get from the TT you come in at to 1,200TT. We do occasionally have EMB120 FOs become ACP FOs at around the 800TT mark if they don't seem to be gaining hours quickly.

Our rule of thumb for grooming: "As long as it doesn't impede safety, you are good to go." We, of course, would like for you to look/dress/act professional while you're rocking facial hair, no facial hair, tattoos, no tattoos, etc.

When a position is open and you've submitted your app and resume, you'll have a phone interview where you'll discuss your times and experiences and other HR stuff. You'll also discuss your availability for a class date and your location availability. If all jives well, you'll get a verbal offer asap and once the offer letter is signed, training material will start rolling in. We can't hire more than two months out, so you'll see a class date pretty quickly.

The training process is six weeks long. It starts at our headquarters at DFW. Everyone does the first two weeks at DFW (InDoc and MEICC). After that, it depends on aircraft. For the EMB120, you'll go to Atlanta to our sims there for about two weeks. The last two weeks will be wherever we have the aircraft available. While in training, we'll pay you a training wage and cover your travel, lodging, and per diem.

Hope that all makes sense and I didn't miss anything!