View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Nevjets
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2016
Default “1500 hour rule”

It’s disingenuous to say that 1500 hours is arbitrary and not make the same argument for ALL flight time requirements. If you believe that they should get rid of the 1500 hour rule, then you should also argue to get rid of the 40 hour rule and the 250 hour rule and every single hour requirements to get any certificate of rating (cross country, solo, instrument, etc.)

It’s not a 1500 hour rule. It’s an ATP rule. You can now get an ATP at 750/1000/1250 hours as well.

Did those colgan pilots benefit from and learn from making their own mistakes (1500 hours worth of mistakes) BEFORE being hired at an airline? Before this law I knew pilots who upgraded and were PIC for the first time since getting their commercial pilot certificate at 250 hours. They were making their real first PIC decisions (not under the direct supervision of a CFI) while having paying passengers on board! At least now, they need an ATP and 1000 hours SIC minimum. There is A TON of learning in that amount of time. Just learning what not to do is better than nothing.

The ATP rule increased pay. Would the pilots of that colgan flight be as fatigued or sick if they had a livable wage?

The law also implemented 117, it mandated upset recovery training, mandated more training towards the ATP, mandated an establishment of a faa records database with checkride pass/fail history, it mandated SMS, foqa, and ASAP, it mandated a mentor, professional development, and leadership (still pending implementation), and I’m probably missing a couple things.

I can’t think of one thing in that law that wasn’t positive for pilots or that didn’t improve safety.