View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 PM
dera
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by Nevjets View Post
It’s disingenuous to say that 1500 hours is arbitrary and not make the same argument for ALL flight time requirements. If you believe that they should get rid of the 1500 hour rule, then you should also argue to get rid of the 40 hour rule and the 250 hour rule and every single hour requirements to get any certificate of rating (cross country, solo, instrument, etc.)

It’s not a 1500 hour rule. It’s an ATP rule. You can now get an ATP at 750/1000/1250 hours as well.

Did those colgan pilots benefit from and learn from making their own mistakes (1500 hours worth of mistakes) BEFORE being hired at an airline?

The ATP rule increased pay. Would the pilots of that colgan flight be as fatigued or sick if they had a livable wage?

The law also implemented 117, it mandated upset recovery training, mandated more training towards the ATP, mandated an establishment of a faa records database with checkride pass/fail history, it mandated SMS, foqa, and ASAP, it mandated a mentor, professional development, and leadership (still pending implementation), and I’m probably missing a couple things.

I can’t think of one thing in that law that wasn’t positive for pilots or that didn’t improve safety.
I think it is safe to say, even though this sounds pretty brutal, but Colgan 3407 was the best thing that ever happened to the regional airline industry.