View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 12:09 AM
Phoenix21
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by 135tankerdriver View Post
Non-current and looking to transition to one of the major airlines as soon as possible and just wondering what are some good options that could get me there the quickest without too much of suffering.

Rough numbers:
3,000 ME turbine time
2,000 PIC
1,000 Instructor
Safety Experience
Out of the cockpit 2 years

Thinking about moving to NM to be close to fam so I’m guessing Pheonix or Denver would be my best options to be based out of and assuming California and Texas would work as well. But open to suggestions.

So based on the above info what are my best flying options or do I take the first place who hires me with in reason.

Are ACMIs (ATI, etc) and ULCCs (Spirit, etc) hiring non-current mil guys?

Also, should I pay for my ATP-CTP if I have the option to have it paid for by who hires me? I’m assuming I’d have some sort of commitment if they are giving me an ATP but I know what assume does. Either way I want to stay away from commitments and contracts if I can, unless someone can talk me into it making sense. My thought is if the airline of my dreams calls I want to be able to pack up my bags and leave when I want to and the sooner I can get my ATP the sooner I can get apps out there for the majors.

Thanks!
SWA hires non current military folks. Having a 737 type rating will get you extra points on their application which may help you score an invite. You can get your ATP along with the 73 type provided you complete the ATP-CTP course and take the written beforehand.

ACMIs and the other LCC/ULCCs are looking for flight currency.

ISR companies and regionals will take you non flight current. The regionals will get you your ATP-CTP course and ATP as part of new hire training. The ISR companies only require a commercial so you’ll have to spring for ATP-CTP on your own (but can still combine ATP with a type ride if your contract requires a type rating).

Regional and ISR commitments are financial only. Nothing is preventing you from resigning if a major calls. After you leave, they may send you a bill which depending on your state laws, may be enforceable. If it’s a regional signing bonus, you may be able to decline taking the money if you’re staking your stink at the company will be short.