View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 06:04 PM
Nevjets
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Originally Posted by Flogger View Post
Dave Ramsey is not right about everything. Credit cards have many advantages over cash or debit, if you have the discipline to not carry a balance.

I pay every bill and purchase I can with a no-fee credit card and use the reward points for airline tickets and over $1,000 a year in lowes gift cards which gives me $50 for $40 worth of points. Just don't carry a balance. Pay it off every month.

Further-disciplined use of a credit card helps build a good credit rating which these days afffects more than credit, ranging from insurance, qualifying for a mortgage, to employment opportunities.

I agree that he isn’t necessarily right for everyone’s circumstances. I believe he gives advice to the lowest common denominator. As an example of something I don’t agree with him on is not getting a mortgage unless you can put 20% down on a conventional 15 year term with a PITI of no more than 25% of your monthly gross income. I only replied to your post because you mentioned bragging to Ramsey. He wouldn’t approve of your advice.