View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Phoenix21
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by Hacker15e View Post
I have read this statement at least 5 times, and still have no idea what you're trying to say.

Non-current (but otherwise qualified) military guys who go to the regionals, barring some kind of really serious skeleton in the closet, are nearly certain to be hired into a major job.

If anything, that's a *more certain* path to the majors than it is to be hired directly out of active military flying service, as the majors highly value pilots with both military *and* 121 airline training and flying experience.

Now, there is definitely a timeline difference between the two paths, but I definitely don't agree with your premise that there is a "better chance of getting hired".
Let me see if I can articulate better.

Odds are better of getting picked up on terminal leave from flying orders than getting picked up immediately after showing up to a regional after a 12-18 months non flight current.

The poster is worried about adding an extra time to their timeline by taking a 2 year commitment for flying orders vs adding 15 months by taking boat orders and going non flight current.

15 months non flight current boat tour (with school enroute) plus 6-9 months for regional timeline before they hit the 100-200 flight currency mark.

The timeline is a wash but I know more guys from that community hired off of terminal leave from flying orders than I know that we’re picked up as soon as they were flight current. The 3-6 month touch and go at a regional thing is more for tactical jet folks. MPRA folks are seeing more like 12+ months.

Passing up flying orders to go non flight current to get out slightly earlier (less than a year sooner) will likely cause a greater time delay in getting picked up at a career destination.