View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 02:49 PM
Phoenix21
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by P8Bubba View Post
So for the most cases guys in the P-3/8 FRS only have 12-13 months until separation when finish their FRS tour. Barring a terrible boat CO that doesn't approve terminal leave (2 months), you'd really only be out of the plane 10-11 months from last flight to first day of availability. So assuming you get a job interview 3 months prior to your availability you could in theory still have 100 hrs if the FRS allows you to work the schedule hard your last few months.

That is more of what I was asking. Not doing an 18 month boat tour without even a valid NATOPS check.

Even if you had to do 6 months at a regional it would be 6 months earlier than if you had to fulfill 24 month orders. Pretty specific example, but if that was the case would you bet on yourself and get out early? Only positive of staying for the 24 month flying orders is breaking 1000' PIC (obviously a factor if targeting FEDEX for example)
I would absolutely stay flight current if at all possible. Historically MPRA guys who are lower on time and aren’t current haven’t been getting scooped up from the regionals with the quickness that hornet pilots et al do. 6 months at a regional after going non current is highly optimistic. Things change all the time so who knows if that will too.

There’s a lot stuff that would easily derail the timeline you posted... schools enroute to the boat (your 12 month counter doesn’t start until you check in)... boat schedule preventing full terminal leave being taken (seen it happen)... regional training backlog (highly likely these days at many regionals)... stuck on reserve flying very little after completing training (happens a fair bit).

Relatively small sample size but folks I know who went the Dallas/U route transitioned to the majors immediately. I know a bunch of dudes who went to the boat after their last flying tour who have their apps out and been waiting well past 6 months to get to a major.