View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 08:34 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by glover130 View Post
Is a cockpit really that much different? Small space, not much physical activity? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also 6'6" and 250 pounds. I'm worried about comfort-level and regulations on that.
Depends.

Imagine catapulting your cubicle to 41,000 and at four fifths the speed of sound, then dropping it. back between two other cubicles. While on fire. Imagine that someone in your office brings you TV dinners while you're working, that you go to school for two months to learn to operate the copy machine, a guy named Lenny quizzes you several times a year with your job on the line, your job rests on passing a medical exam every six months, and if you enjoy the whole airport experience once in a blue moon now, you'll be right at home.

Except the cubicle is a lot smaller than what you have now, has 1,000 lights, gages, screens, buttons, bells, whistles, buzzers, knobs and flashy things, and you'll need to have your cubicle de-iced. Plus you only get to keep it for a few hours at a time and you won't see your own bed much any more.

On the other hand, you'll develop a taste for Arby's, fly with kids who look like they're fresh from Jr. High, and you'll buy stock in a coffee company. You won't be able to put pictures on the walls of your cubicle, but you also won't have to deal with one of those clear plastic grippy carpet protectors that make chairs roll back into the same position, always the wrong one, every time you let go of the desk. Things are looking up.