View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 03:49 PM
VegasChris
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

33 making a career change from Fire Engineer to Pilot.

Sept 2017 I had never touched a plane and I should have my CFI done this month (weather permitting checkride)

I am about 50k into training and bought my own plane for 40k to build time in. I work 24 hour shifts so I fly on my off days and will hopefully start to teach soon.

I did all my school through Liberty and a flight affiliate. The lab fee for the flight classes came out as tuition so it helped me with taxes and I qualify for the R-ATP at 1000 hours instead of 1500.

I suggest you do the discovery flight and pick the brain of the CFI while you are there. If it sounds like something you still want to do then go for it 100%. Faster you get done the faster you get a seniority number.

I looked at ATP but I could not leave my full time job to do their program. The Liberty University with the flight affiliate was the best for my situation.

I get what you are saying about the cubicle- thats why I have my current job, but the airplane (especially when I am in my own going where I want to go) is a new kind of freedom I haven't had since giving up my motorcycle when I had kids.

Aero Atlanta seemed to have their **** together. I was going to rent a plane for a checkride.

I am 6'1 and 210, but was up to 240 for a minute. A 172 is what you want to fly. The 152 with you and an instructor will probably be over max gross with an hour of fuel