View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 06:25 PM
glover130
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Originally Posted by Ecotone View Post
I am 28 and about to leave my comfortable $90k engineering job at a very reputable company to transition to full-time CFI in the Atlanta area.

My advice to you would be to take it one step at a time. Go for a discovery flight to see if flying is something you really are interested in. Don't go in there with any pressure or preconceived notions... Just have fun! In addition to that, go get your 1st class medical to clear up any health concerns.

If you love it and decide to start training, I would suggest that you keep your day job and find a school and CFI in your area where you could do your flight training part-time. Ideally, you want to make time to schedule 3 lessons per week at a minimum.

I got my Private several years ago, but dedicated pretty much all of 2018 to wrap up my Instrument, Commercial, and CFI all while working full time as an engineer. Started Instrument Dec-2017 and passed my CFI checkride Oct-2018. Be prepared to spend a lot of time studying, but you are single so now is the perfect time.

One might argue that going all in and doing flight training full time may be more efficient, and a plus for career advancement (seniority). I personally hate debt so I did not want to get into a low paying CFI gig with tens of thousands of dollars worth of loans. The part-time route worked great for me and alleviated a lot of stress. Indirectly, it was also a way to make sure I was committed to my career change decision.

I know how you feel about the cubicle... It is nice and comfortable, money isn't great but certainly more than enough, especially at our age. One thing's for sure though, it is not very thrilling and after several years it'll s*ck the life out of you. Just look around at some of the older folks who have been there for a while.

Give it some thought. Picture yourself in 20 years and ask yourself whether you'd regret it if you didn't give it a serious shot when you had a chance. If you're like me and the answer is a resounding "yes", then you will at least find comfort in your decision and know that you are doing the right thing for yourself.
That's great input. Congrats on your decision! I was under the impression that part-time flight training for real (as in not just for a private license) is not a true option. But you say it is?