Thread: Glider Time
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 07:48 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
Cliff notes answer:

It appears that time spent in an ultralights that are LSA (Light Sport Aircraft) counts towards 'total time' and maybe some single engine time as well. This is based on the definition of ultralight as an aircraft and it's got a lawnmower engine, so technically it fits the criteria.

Any pro want to weigh in? I don't fly ultralights, so I've got 0 experience in this arena.
This is painful to watch. Really.

For regulatory issues, go to the government website at ecfr.gov. It's updated, and correct.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...1_152&rgn=div8

You'll be looking up 14 CFR 61.52, Use of Aeronautical Experience Obtained in Ultralight Vehicles.

I am not going to copy the entire regulation subsection here. Look it up and read it.

Ultralight time can be counted toward a recreational pilot certificate, recreational instructor certificate or private pilot certificate (with weight shift privileges).

It does not count for what you are seeking.

Do not try to inflate your time with the use of an ultralight, and by attempting to call it total time but not anything else. You'll have to cite category and class, and you'll look bad because you'll appear to be doing exactly what you'd be doing which is padding your logbook.