View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 04:06 AM
ptarmigan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B777 Captain

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
I didn't say anything remotely close to an opinion regarding recruiting of pilot, so no, I'm not saying that at all. You're saying that. Speak for yourself.

I don't care if you're on board with it. You've drifted from gimmicks to altering the recruiting universe. Good luck with that.

There are those who advocate ballistic parachutes in lieu of skill, judgement, and thought, and we have an industry full of children of the magenta line. Why bother training pilots to recognize a stall, or approach to a stall, when we can have circles of lights flashing in their face, and a loud voice yelling at them? No need to calculate or pre-plan the descent; just wait for the FMC to calculate it. What else can we dumb down?

Good god. Get off your high horse.

In the same time frame, I'm also skipping painting camp, baseball spring training, and an outstanding seminar on gastric distress. I'll spend some of that time at recurrent, some working, shoot a couple of steel matches, and write a chapter if there's time. If not doing what you'd prefer I'd be doing reflects badly on me because I choose not to go to a MIT workshop, that's too god damned bad.
Well, the good news is that if you ever have an accident, I'll be able to look at the events in context to see why the actions you did made sense to you *at the time*, rather than throw stones and talk about how you were just "weak". Pilots throw each other under the bus quicker than just about any other group, and that is sad. You see that quite a bit less with engineering test pilots, but most pilots are pretty bad about it.

As for the last part, this section of the board is about "suggestions for improving safety", and the workshop is about improving safety.