View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 04:08 AM
ptarmigan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B777 Captain

Originally Posted by dera View Post
The thing to remember with Colgan was that they were nowhere near a stall when the stick shaker went off. They were in a plane with no ice, but they had selected the vref ice speeds, so the stick shaker went off at higher speeds than their configuration/energy state warranted.

With the complete lack of awareness of what was happening, I think they would have ignored any other clues, no matter how verbal or obvious they would've been, in their desperate panic reaction to a situation they did not expect.
This is the common perception of this accident, and one I used to share as well. However, many pilots will simply not recognize a real stall when it happens to them outside of the training environment, and that is a sad fact. Reading it again, maybe we are not saying something so different. Once a person has created a mental model of the aircraft state confirmation bias kicks in so to that extent it true that they will ignore cues.

What I like about q-alpha is that it prevents the errant mental model in the first place. Ideally you have that an an AoA gauge that you are trained on.

Last edited by ptarmigan; 03-08-2019 at 04:20 AM.