View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 06:27 AM
galaxy flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
I would add that many professional pilots *think* they would recognize a stall. Unfortunately the are mistaken, hence my article on the topic.
Maybe 1500 hours of fighter time colors my attitude, but we did stalls in the sim every 6 months, how would that not be drilled in? I only saw two inadvertent stalls, both at altitude—unmistakeable. The first, I was riding in a C-5, crew was put in hold, heavy-ish, slowed to typical holding speed at training weights at 4,000’. You feel the buffet coming up thru the upper deck floor, I asked the load what was on the inter phone, “stall”. Recovered immediately. It was dark, in cloud, off circadian time, too.

Second time was on the north coast of South America, entered the top of those equatorial clouds that don’t paint but hold a lot of bumps and warm air. Mach rapidly went away, the “eyebrow” starting coming down on the PFD and the slightest tickle of the shaker. Pushed over, as trained, to maintain some Mach and lost about 1200’ before we popped out of the cloud. We were at or just above optimum.

Both cases, if you missed the warnings, you’d have to be dead.

GF