Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 06:42 AM
freezingflyboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
It’s called respect and it is a professional title. It’s also earned. I think it’s weird that someone would call from a company, identify themselves as from the CP’s office, and not correct me. Then call me suspicious in an arrogant tone. Maybe nurses can start promoting themselves to doctor and replace that valve I need taken care of.
Without question. Some of us earn it through experience, numerous checkrides and years spent crisscrossing the airways conveying our passengers safely and efficiently to their destinations. Others really earn the title through service to our country, and those folks truly have my gratitude and respect. Still others have the title bestowed upon them by simply calling up Pilot Applicant 4runner and identifying themselves as from XYZ Airlines. It's just shades of grey I guess.

Listen, I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life, but if it were me I wouldn't make a habit of addressing anyone by a rank they didn't introduce themselves with first. It really puts you in an awkward spot.
And if you do commit that faux pas, I wouldn't double down on it by acting like THEY are the tool because they didn't correct YOUR mistake. But that's just me.

Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
A previous poster said it well when they described smug FO’s prancing around job fairs with an air of superiority while the Captains are chill and humble. Ze best were the Gulfstream FO’s in fitted shirts at S FL job fairs in the mid 2000’s.
And a wise man once said "Sometimes the things we hate about others are really the things we hate about ourselves."

Peace!