View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Guppydriver95
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by M5000 View Post
Exactly.

Just don’t leave people hanging.

Recently watched a new hire FO get left hanging by the capt. The ops people overheard him asking another capt if he knew the capt, Because he was searching for him. Ended up with phone calls, that the FO didn’t intend to happen, and he looked a bit uncomfortable, probably because he thought the capt would get in trouble. Nobody in trouble or anything but the FO was new and figuring out the swing of things.

An easily sent email from the PM app seems to work well. Something like:

Hi xxxxx,
I’m scheduled to fly with you tomorrow. I occasionally run into some unforeseen traffic on my way in. How about we meet at the gate, just to ensure our operational integrity? Let me know what you think. Feel free to reply to this email, or feel free to text direct to xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thanks,
Xxxxx Xxxxx
Good technique. However, those who still refuse to show up in ops are flagrantly flaunting the policy at this point. As a matter of fact, the definition of “should” was changed several months ago to say that unless there is a compelling reason not to, this is how it’s done. As a Cap, I’ll always swing by ops, and if no f/o an hour prior, I’ll head to the jet. No biggie. But just know that the definition of “should” is not as liberal as it used to be in case a Captain were to insist on it.