View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 12:47 PM
FastDEW
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: 777 Left

When I read the NASA reports from other pilots, I wonder if this is all about MCAS. The reports seem to indicate that the MAX issues came into play with the autopilot engaged during climb out, but they were able to stop the decent when they switched the auto pilot off and flew manually. This is not indicative of an MCAS problem as I understand MCAS. My current understanding is that MCAS only functions during manual flight control and therefor would not be engaged during use of autopilot. If this understanding is correct, then it leads me to wonder if there is an issue with the autopilot as well as the MCAS - because I cannot imagine why any pilot would not disconnect autopilot in the Lion Air situation. Yet, NASA reports are saying the issue corrected once the autopilot was disconnected and they flew manually. These two are counter to each other and seems to leave open more than MCAS as cause.

I have never flown the 737, I moved from the 320 to the 777. But I cannot imagine why the FAA feels there is minimal training and they can call the MAX the same or nearly the same as the NG. I have JS on both and other than the archaic overhead panel, they seem vastly different to me - then toss in the MCAS and no training, or even awareness of the system from initial deployment of the aircraft into service.... wow, just wow. The FAA and Boeing should be ashamed of themselves for doing such a thing.

As I stated earlier in the thread, I have JS prior on the MAX, but generally if I can, I will try to go on the Bus just for comfort. That said, post these two events, I would avoid the MAX for an abundance of caution, as I do not want to be a first hand witness to the fight with MCAS (or whatever is going on with the control system). Glad that the US finally came to ground them until this can be sorted out.

It is a shame really, the 737 is such a durable workhorse and Boeing seems to have damaged its reputation immensely; will take years to recover from the bad press if this keeps going for too long.