View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 04:42 PM
The Dominican
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: 747 captain

Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
So it is possible to select a slower speed and altitude and hold manual control input to maintain prior altitude until the aircraft slows? And if autothrottles engaged would advance as the speed slowed to bug?

What about if the flight spoilers were extended?
Not sure where you are going with this question but it is Monday morning on my Jetlag cycle so it might be me.

The whole autopilot disconnect issue is not much of a factor, it is designed so that it is easy to override and it will remain engaged if the manual correction is small but if you positively apply a few pounds of force in any direction as to significally change pitch or course, the A/P will disengage with an aural and respective master warning and eicas message, just in case it was unintentional.

The A/T only take about 4 pounds of force to override, now I don't really know if it will go to "THR HOLD" if you place it on the fire wall and hold them there as it would if you bring them to idle for example, in 13 years of flying the 76, I haven't come across that scenario.

The spoilers contrary to popular belief, will only retract if you apply power while configured for landing, if the boards are out on a clean configuration and you apply power (Let's say to respond to a TCAS or a GPWS) you will have to manually stow the spoilers, they will not retract automatically. But you will get a master caution with a "Spoilers" message on eicas