Thread: Upgrade times?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 AM
kingairfun
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by saywhat View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

Once you hold a line on the 717, what does a "typical" schedule look like? Can you string 4 or 5 days off in a row? (same question for the 321)Seems like as a junior person you'll do Fri-Sun and a day or so of weekday flying. Seems like the average for lineholder is 15-17 days off depending on how much credit you want per day. 4-5 days off is very possible and pretty typical on all of our fleets. If it is for commuting reasons, most block their flying together in larger chunks. Obviously the more senior you get the easier.

How long to hold a line in the 717 and 321?I know new hires getting lines a month or two out of class. Doesn't make them a line holder per se. Enough pilots bid reserve to make it possible for junior ones to eek out a line occasionally.

Thanks in advance for the replies!
717 upgrade looks like 3 years and holding for now. Initial NEO deliveries are almost complete so the movement is slowing.

321 is holding at 6.5-7 yrs roughly. Currently everyone (NEO) is on seat lock and retirements are low so movement to the 330 is also slow.

All that being said, the 787 bid will be out shortly, that plus increasing retirements in 2020, and NEO seat locks expiring could produce lower upgrade times.. Bypass to the left seat of 717 is pretty high historically so 2-3 years seems possible.

For NEO I'd bet it stays no less the 7-8 yr range for the foreseeable future. There are quite a few bypasses to left seat of the NEO also. (the schedule and flying is just too good on 330 for many to go back to nothing but 2 day west coast trips IMO.