Old 03-18-2019, 08:15 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by AeroAl View Post

I'm also kind of unique, in that I already have roughly 8 years or so of non-flying Part 121 operational auditing and safety program management experience along with a masters in aviation safety and an aircraft dispatcher certificate that may make me a slightly more attractive low time candidate than someone straight out of school.
Dandy. Another one that thinks he's unique.

The story seldom changes. Everyone else gets their CFI, but me, I'm different. I'm unique. I can't wait like everyone else. I want a job that doesn't involve instructing. I'm special. I have a unique experience that the airlines will snap up.

No. You don't.

If your goal is the airlines, you'll be an entry level regional schmuck like everyone else, and your masters degree won't matter at all, and your former airline experience won't make a hill of beans difference.

What will? Get ATP qualifications.

Farther down the road, your degree will be a qualifier, but for the next few years, it doesn't mean squat. Neither your quality assurance.

Buying an airplane and flying it around does not speak to your ability to be vetted or hired, and means that you're not subjecting yourself to regular evaluations, observations, or competing with other pilots for a job or to show your worth. Your sole qualification is that you paid to get what you got.

As a flight instructor, you'll undergo several more evaluations to get the ratings, then by a school to hire you, then training and evaluations during your time with the school, and your students will be examined, and their success will reflect on you. This paints a clearer picture of your character and ability than simply buying an airplane and flying it around (because you can).

I was reasonably good at my job, and my experience with regulations and dealing with the FAA could likely be a huge plus for some 135 operators.
I wouldn't count on that. it's not what most 135 operators are interested in, especially with regard to a pilot.

I know there's pros on cons to each, but I at least feel that if I didn't choose to get my CFI, "check-mark wise" my previous airline experience and education would likely more than make up for it.
Not really, no.