Old 03-19-2019, 07:16 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by AeroAl View Post
I'm also kind of unique, in that I already have roughly 8 years or so of non-flying Part 121 operational auditing and safety program management experience along with a masters in aviation safety and an aircraft dispatcher certificate that may make me a slightly more attractive low time candidate than someone straight out of school. (If you want to know what "operational auditing" experience means, check out AC 120-59B http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...AC_120-59B.pdf). I was reasonably good at my job, and my experience with regulations and dealing with the FAA could likely be a huge plus for some 135 operators. Since I'm largely trying to focus on flying now, that's the kind of thing I'd only agree to do part time though.

I know there's pros on cons to each, but I at least feel that if I didn't choose to get my CFI, "check-mark wise" my previous airline experience and education would likely more than make up for it.
For regionals it won't matter either way, they are (almost) all hiring all comers right now and for the foreseeable future.

For majors, that experience will not get you called faster because there's no checkbox for that on the computer-screened applications. You need to read the aps and figure out how to check those boxes.

Once you actually get called for a major interview (that's the real trick), your previous experience will be a good conversation topic and should help you. But generally these days IF you get the interview call, they intend to hire you unless you screw it up... it's getting the call that's hard.