Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 09:02 AM
John Carr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Sky-Envoy-PS-Go-Mesa-blah-blah-blah

In the end, just about every pilot there is going to eventually be working for one of the big ones, so who really cares.
"Thanks for flying Delta, American, United.........have a nice day."
Except if it’s on the WO or even PO (partially owned) one, god forbid the CA/FO/FA leave out the “Connection/Eagle/Express” part.

Lest the commuting/DH’ing pilot in back come up and give a stern/condescending lecture that they are NOT Delta, American, United....

And YES, in all my time there, I’m FULLY AWARE of what was to be said.

Since this is where the thread went, I nominate a tool from over 15 years ago. Was on a DH, in the window, mainline pilot in the aisle, revenue passenger in the middle. Passenger chatted with the mainline pilot most of the flight. After landing and taxiing in, she sees an RJ go by and asks “do those pilots make decent money?” His response, “they’re not real pilots”.

And now, on occasion, I get to work with those kinds of tools....

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
But I don't think regionals are going away, or getting brought into mainline, for several good reasons.

- If you bring the planes AND the pilots, the you are open to an Mcaskill-Bond SLI. Mainline doesn't want the disruption and mainline unions don't want to have to fight for their seats against RJ lifers. Unless you can get the RJ group to voluntarily sign a staple deal with RJ CA fences (the lifers won't).
True

- Management knows that the pilot shortage and the good economy will most likely end some day. They would like to preserve the regional model intact, so they can benefit from it in the future. Even if regionals get expensive in the short term... the good news (for management) is that they don't need BK to claw back regional raises, just resume the whipsaw as soon as market conditions permit.
Also true, keep preachin’ brother

- Mainline also uses the regionals as a farm league. They can somewhat mitigate liability exposure by keeping the noobs on the smaller planes. Colgan and Comair would have cost a whole lot more if those had been narrowbodies (or widebodies ).
What’s the opposite of false, TRUE!!!!!

- Mainline unions like the regional system too... despite a few RJ SJW types most mainline pilots know that they can get paid more because RJ pilots get paid less. As long as you have appropriate scope. Hard cold fact.
DING DING DING!!!!!!!

Although it’s a smaller line item, the RJ feed helps. As was used for scope relaxation in tne 90’s and has continued, those high yield widebody planes going to int’l places don’t just fill up themselves on O/D traffic.

Doesn’t matter if it’s the tiny (relatively) PS I get or the fat one a DAL guy gets, a portion of that was born on the backs of the B-/C scale wage RJ feed.

Last edited by John Carr; 03-20-2019 at 09:17 AM.