View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 09:12 AM
Ray Red
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by Tailhookah View Post
Agree. But our retirement program is so good for a few reasons, mainly though that we are not allowed to work past 65. Other people don’t get sent packing from their careers at 65. For those of you that haven’t had to find work outside of the cockpit (ie. those of us who’ve been furloughed had the “pleasure”...) you’ll find out that our unique skills don’t amount to anything that’s transferable to another job...except maybe Walmart greeter or golf course marshal...

So we have a unique retirement situation. And we are just slightly in a highly trained line of work. You want the skilled pilots? Best of the best? Safe. Then it’s going to cost you. We ate the &$#@ sandwich for many years. Now it’s time to reap the benefits of a bull market for pilots. Maybe the best bull market ever. We still haven’t recouped where we were... even when we don’t account for the loss of pension.

We all need to realize this and I don’t plan on rolling over and accepting scraps. I’m not a burn it down guy. But I know that we can improve our lot and have incrementally done so over the past few contracts and this is the final step to regain our worth that we gave up so quickly so long ago.
I agree that we should be shooting for the moon in terms of pay, work rules, scope, increased DC, etc.