View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 06:53 AM
TED74
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post
So just to be clear, your point is swaps above ALV+15 benefit you, so we should do them, but SILs don't so it's good we killed them?

Many of us, myself included, value the QOL provided by having no obligation to the company in exchange for 40 hours of pay. I'm also in favor of keeping the trip swaps as they are. I would swap over 100, followed by a 40 hour SIL if the option were available. I'm just not going to argue it is in the best interest of everyone in a veiled attempt to claim the moral high ground. They were provisions in the contract, period. You can't claim "rising tide..., better for everyone..., etc if you are in favor of swaps and against SILS.
The SIL issue was a bit more nuanced than some people appreciate, IMHO. Many of us see the value in a SIL at different values. But I still support DALPA shutting them down... since the company essentially violated PWA provisions to gain concurrence. DALPA was also concerned (as was I) that the company "skipped some steps" (paraphrasing here) in not enhancing QOL for more people in a category than just those who might have asked for or been awarded a SIL at a less-than-during-bankruptcy rate of 55 hours. Specifically, they reportedly didn't accept any RCC inputs for these supposedly over-manned categories, nor did they offer additional (fully paid) summer vacation weeks. I think there's a place for SILs-on-the-cheap (e.g., 40 hours or 25 hours) as long as some more widely-beneficial QOL items are in place first.