View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 01:04 PM
Gunfighter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by TED74 View Post
The SIL issue was a bit more nuanced than some people appreciate, IMHO. Many of us see the value in a SIL at different values. But I still support DALPA shutting them down... since the company essentially violated PWA provisions to gain concurrence. DALPA was also concerned (as was I) that the company "skipped some steps" (paraphrasing here) in not enhancing QOL for more people in a category than just those who might have asked for or been awarded a SIL at a less-than-during-bankruptcy rate of 55 hours. Specifically, they reportedly didn't accept any RCC inputs for these supposedly over-manned categories, nor did they offer additional (fully paid) summer vacation weeks. I think there's a place for SILs-on-the-cheap (e.g., 40 hours or 25 hours) as long as some more widely-beneficial QOL items are in place first.
I fully appreciate there were many nuances in the SILs and did not object to DAPLA exercising the right to kill them. My comments were to point out the hypocrisy of claiming 40 hour SILs should be banned for QOL, because a rising tide lifts all shifts (etc.), but swapping above ALV is good, even though it keeps many ships at low tide.