Old 03-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Tom a Hawk
What’s it doing now?

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: 190CA

Originally Posted by Std Deviation View Post
I’ll bring up an interesting philosophical debate on the withdrawal rate. Retaining the principle is only a factor because you don’t know when you’ll die. Unless you just decide when you reach age “X” you’ll “check yourself out.” Then you can pull far in excess of the mythical withdrawal rate. So if you retired at 65 and say your X was 75 you could live like royalty on 2 million for the next 10 years. There’s an article by a Harvard professor entitled , “Why I hope to die at 75.” Fascinating read. For the non religious without any heirs this philosophy is intriguing. No I’m not crazy. This whole financial paradigm is driven by the unknown X. You could drop dead at 85 with a couple million tucked away and what good is that The last check I write is going to the undertaker - and I’m hoping that bounces.

I’ll literally give my money to a cat charity - I don’t like cats - before I let my deadbeat relatives inherit it.
So lemme get this straight. You save your whole life for 10 years of blowing money out your arse and then off yourself when it runs out? Think it would be far easier to spend every dollar you make, leverage yourself with credit for a couple years and then jump off a bridge. Longer enjoyment timeline if a shorter life.

Of course you could just go on living in the poor house, at least you’ll be old when you’re doing it instead of denying yourself when you’re young.