View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 10:25 AM
BerserkingGator
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2019
Default Zero to Hero or University (Veteran)

Hello,

Not raise a beaten horse from the dead, but I'm seeking advice on Flight school options considering the current climate of the aviation industry.

Background on me: I'm 27 years old, spent 6 years in the Navy as a Rotary CC. Moved back to Florida originally with the mindset on going to UF but then was persuaded by multiple people to pursue flying.

I was given the advice from a family friend that flys at a major airline to go to a school like ATP to get my certs ASAP to get ahead of the wave that currently is/will be coming due to the need of pilots. This advice came from a respected person whose children went Uni (eldest) and then ATP (youngest).

My question: Is going through an accelerated course like ATP really that big of an advantage over going to school for aeronautics and checking off the Bachelor degree for your resume? Yes you start building your hours sooner but will I be limited in my job opportunities and ability to make captain in the future?

I am skeptical on taking a 80-90 thousand dollar loan out with an interest rate that WF has on their educational loans. How do the recruitment programs offset this massive loan for the people that go private??

Respectfully,

BG