View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 05:25 AM
Stoked27
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2017

I'd recommend looking into Liberty University if you have the GI Bill and need a degree. They have a flight affiliate program (online degree, local FBO flight training) which qualifies for one of the restricted ATPs, 1,250 hour I believe. Quite a few locations in Florida so you might not have to move.

The GI bill has an annual limit of ~$37k that can be spent at a private school (Liberty is private), so your training would be slower than a zero-to-hero program, but you'll be able to knock out your degree and save a few months with the Restricted. Even if you find a way to fast-track your flight training and pay for some out of pocket at Liberty to speed it along...thus reaching 1,500 ATP mins before your degree is completed, you can easily complete the degree while working at your regional and come out ahead financially compared to the ATP school option. ATP flight school is not qualified to accept your GI bill last I checked, unless you cash out your GI bill via the Montgomery option which is not a smart usage of your benefits.

There are many threads on here re:Liberty in the Flight Schools and Training category where others and myself have provided some more detailed info. I recommend searching keywords Liberty or Liberty University to see if that might be an option for you, but if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll try to help.