Old 12-14-2007, 06:54 AM
paladin
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Over 60 and Still Living the Dream

Originally Posted by ewrbasedpilot View Post
According to who, you? How about letting someone else have a career? Is 35years not enough? You got to have yours knowing full well when you hit 60 it'd be time to retire........ Their comes a time and place when it's time to move over and enjoy life..............that is if you have one, which it appears many do not. If you've been sitting on the sidelines and not putting away for the future, your lack of financial planning is your problem, not mine. Sorry, I wish they'd make it 55.
Whether you have a career or not is your choice. However, your premise about those who have a 35 year career is faulty. My career with the airline, as well as many others, has been a bit shorter. Only now, if I so desire, it will be 5 years longer than I had originally planned. Thank you, but I'll decide the proper time and place to "move over and enjoy life". Funny thing is, unlike many who use this board as a whinning wall, I am enjoying life now. You see I still enjoy going to work and for the most part enjoy the people I work with.

Lack of, or one's prowess in financial planning is a non-starter and not germane to the "age 60" argument. Net worth should not be a criteron for retirement. If it was many of our country's most productive citizens would be forced to retire prematurely.

If it is your desire to leave at 55 then you are free to leave; no one has a gun to your head forcing you to stay. So stop your whinning. In 15 or 20 years people will be touting the vision of those who saw this change through.