View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 01:21 AM
krudawg
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: 747 Captain, retired

Originally Posted by BerserkingGator View Post
Hello,

Not raise a beaten horse from the dead, but I'm seeking advice on Flight school options considering the current climate of the aviation industry.

Background on me: I'm 27 years old, spent 6 years in the Navy as a Rotary CC. Moved back to Florida originally with the mindset on going to UF but then was persuaded by multiple people to pursue flying.

I was given the advice from a family friend that flys at a major airline to go to a school like ATP to get my certs ASAP to get ahead of the wave that currently is/will be coming due to the need of pilots. This advice came from a respected person whose children went Uni (eldest) and then ATP (youngest).

My question: Is going through an accelerated course like ATP really that big of an advantage over going to school for aeronautics and checking off the Bachelor degree for your resume? Yes you start building your hours sooner but will I be limited in my job opportunities and ability to make captain in the future?

I am skeptical on taking a 80-90 thousand dollar loan out with an interest rate that WF has on their educational loans. How do the recruitment programs offset this massive loan for the people that go private??

Respectfully,

BG
I got out of the Marine Corps after my 2 year enlistment was over. I was 20 years old, Vietnam Vet and a burning desire to fly for a Major Airline with no clue were to proceed. There was no internet and only a reference Book in the library about Job information of every career in the USA. The book contained 2 paragraphs about airline pilots. Fast-Forward 46 years and I retired from a Major Airline after a 32 year career capping off my career flying left-seat on Boeing 747-400. My recommendation is get your degree - in anything; just get it. Take your flying lessons while going thru College (This is what I did). I also worked a full-time job to pay for flight training. This was how I did it but If you are disciplined enough, then your best shot is sign up at ATP, and in less than a year, you could be earning a living as a flight instructor THEN go to college. Airlines hire in Cycles, don't miss this cycle. Chasing an airline career is expensive but not impossible. Best of luck in whatever career you chose. Thanks for your service