View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 07:39 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
If you still require meds to resolve the depression it’s a little more tricky although even that is not necessarily an insurmountable issue for pilots who are already heavily invested in an aviation career.

See this:

Medical Never Submitted

If the problem is chronic, recurrent, or severe, you might not want to initiate such an investment though.
Yes, I would frankly not plan on investing in training with a requirement to be on anti-depression/anxiety meds long-term.

The FAA in good faith a few years ago decided to allow pilots to *potentially* fly while taking some meds for depression.

Unfortunately, shortly after the rule change, the germanwings suicide crash cast a very long shadow on pilot mental health issues.

Since then the FAA has been (somewhat understandably) very, very leery of approving pilots to fly on meds. I am led to believe that the sum total of pilots approved by the FAA to date can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

So I wouldn't plan on a career with meds. Even if you get approved, that's only good for six months, maybe less and there's NO guarantee the policy won't change for the worse at any moment.