View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 12:11 AM
Spartan0536
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: Cessna 172 (Left Seat)
Question New pilot & Monocular Vision

Hello aviators,

I have had a life long love with aviation from the time I was 4 or 5 years old. took a few flying lessons when I was 12 and a few when I was 25. When I was in ROTC I suffered a catastrophic eye injury to my left eye which resulted in a retinal detachment (since fixed PERMANENTLY with a Scleral buckle) and a corneal failure. This cost me my upcoming military career as a SIGNIT EW Officer but that was YEARS ago.

I was told by a few people that I would also never be able to drive a car or fly a plane. I foolishly believed them about the plane, but when a car is necessary to daily life where I live, I quickly cross referenced that and found that to be a flat out lie.

It was not until a few days ago that I just decided to look up what the official FAA statement is on flying with 1 eye, as it turns out the FAA does not really care so long as you can perform your airmanship duties correctly.

"An applicant will be considered monocular when there is only one eye or when the best corrected distant visual acuity in the poorer eye is no better than 20/200. An individual with one eye, or effective visual acuity equivalent to monocular, may be considered for medical certification, any class, through the special issuance section of part 67 (14 CFR 67.401)."
- FAA Website

Definition of Part 67 (14 CFR 67.401) by Cornell Law - https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/67.401

As you can see I have researched this pretty well, but I would like some knowledgeable pilots that may have dealt with something like this or know someone who has and what is entailed here.

Quick BIO about my other histories.

NO Criminal Record (1 speeding ticket, 1 failure to yield right of way, both are over a decade ago)

Medical History is clear and healthy outside of the 1 eye injury

No Psychological issues or medication associated with such

I have been dealing with an eye that has less than 20/200 vision for over a decade now, I am accustomed to "the offset" that it causes.

Do you think I am chasing a wasted dream or do I actually have a shot at becoming a pilot?

I am not doing this for the money, I am doing this because I love flying, I do flight simulation in my spare time and I go to Sun N Fun when I can. There is something about flying that is just peaceful to me, it's like I belong up there or something, I really can't describe it. Yes, it's 100% my fault for not doing research into medical waivers, something I am kicking myself for, but at 32 I am quite sure I can still have a long aviation career IF I can pass the medical.

Any and all thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!