View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
The medical certificate doens't require that.

If one has been diagnosed with the condition, then by all means report it.

There is no metric which asks if the applicant has ever met the criteria as spelled out in the DSM. How would the applicant know? The applicant isn't expected to stipulate to a condition for which he isn't qualified to diagnose.
Not saying ANYONE ought to report that. Just saying that anyone casually telling their personal physician that they’ve had a rough week could be putting their wings on the line. The criteria for what constitutes “depression” has over time been so dumbed down that most anyone may meet it.

Older medical criteria separated “exogenous” depression (my dog died, my child is sick, my spouse is cheating on me) from “endogenous” depression (nothing wrong happening in my life but I still feel like absolute cr@p) and considered the former sort of normal and only diagnosed the latter. But not anymore.

The idea is that if you truly have a psych situation you are unable to deal with constructively, by all means see a shrink. But if you go crying to a shrink (or sometimes even your local doc) the way a lot of people vent here on APC you may indeed be diagnosed as having a depression, with all the subsequent FAA medical issues.