Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 09:28 AM
ZippyNH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
Hi everyone,

new member here, have been reading for a while for a while though.

Truly interested in flying for Ameriflight, seems like a great company with some fun flying!

Finally I have enough hours to qualify for a FO position at Ameriflight. Currently I am a CFI/ CFII at 550h TT, living in San Diego.

I do have some questions and I would appreciate if some of you could give me some answers: (of course the only position I would qualify for is the EMB 120 FO position)

-
  • How likely is it to get ONT right away currently?
  • Could I continue living in San Diego if I get ONT or is that too far away? (I know that you have to live within 1.5 hours of your base)
  • Realistically how many hours per month does a FO get out of ONT?
  • Do the hours as a FO on the EMB 120 count towards your ATP?
  • How long is a work day usually/ when does it start & end? (If I understand correctly its Monday through Friday, so I would be home every evening)
  • Is there a training contract for the captain positions on the BE99 once I have enough hours to upgrade?

Thank you for any insight you may have
A bit of info for ya... "freightdogs" can provide much more specific info... hopefully he will chime in. Most of the info I give you and MUCH more is in the preceding pages....
As I understand it, no training contract for the EMB-120 copilot, and if I recall right, they are assigned as "system" pilots as opposed to a bid location...so are sent where needed for assignments as the open up... honestly not bad, since you won't get stuck on a short, low time run...and more variety of locations to help you learn.
Once you get the time to upgrade, the length of the contract (if there is one) will depend upon your flight time...if you start below 135 minimums, there will be one...on a bit if a sliding scale depending on the amount of time you need to ride along to qualify as PIC.
I won't speak of the ONT situation...I have dropped in and flown through there for a few weeks at a time, but honestly, most locations are places you are going to want to live pretty close due to limited time spent there at night...think they MIGHT rotate routes with a "out and back" that doesn't have to wait the typically PM return.